JVC's flagship 4K projector DLA-Z1 features original cutting-edge technologies for high-quality, high-definition images to realise the full potential of 4K. It also supports next-gen technologies such as HDR (high dynamic range) content and video at 4K resolution. Beautiful picture quality with a powerful lifelike sense of realism can be enjoyed for all types of video content, from movies to sports, music and documentaries, even 3D. Wrapped in a stylish physical design that features simple lines to emphasise functionality and symmetrical design to focus around the centrally positioned high-resolution lens, the weight and form of the projector befit a flagship 4K model.
The newly developed D-ILA device, with a pixel pitch of 3.8 μm, occupies an area that is 31% smaller compared to previous devices*2. The native 4K device for projection is the smallest in the world at 0.69”, and allows the projector to achieve a high-definition display at 4K resolution (4096 × 2160 pixels). Furthermore, vertical orientation and planarization technologies reduce defects such as light scattering and diffraction, enhancing contrast. The result is a smooth, high-definition image free of visible pixelation, even when projecting on large screens.
The projector’s light source is based on JVC’s proprietary BLU-Escent laser projection technology, which uses blue laser diodes to offer both a brightness level of 3,000 lm and 20,000 hours of operational life. Improvements in brightness allow for a beautiful image on large screens. Moreover, the massive increase in peak brightness, when projecting HDR and dynamic control of laser output according to the brightness of the image, work together to create a contrast ratio of ∞:1, creating a stunning home theatre experience that expresses a greater range than ever before.
HDR (high dynamic range) content, such as that available on UHD Blu-ray Discs, offers an extended brightness range, 10-bit gradation and a wide BT.2020 colour gamut. With its high contrast ratio, 80% BT.2020 coverage, dynamic light source control, and a peak brightness of 3,000 lm, the projector offers optimal reproduction of HDR content. Moreover, in addition to HDR picture modes that are easy to set up when viewing HDR content, the projector also offers support for Hybrid Log-Gamma, a new technology that is expected to be used widely in future broadcasting.
In conjunction with the new 4K D-ILA device, a new 18-element, 16-group all-glass lens with a full aluminium lens barrel was also designed. A new 100 mm diameter lens is used to project 4K-resolution images to every corner of the screen. This compares to the 65 mm diameter used in other projectors*1.
The new lens offers an expanded lens shift of ±100% vertically and ±43% horizontally*2. In addition, by adopting five ED lenses that take into account differences in R/G/B refractive index, the projector is able to reduce chromatic aberration and colour fringing to deliver a precise reproduction of 4K-resolution images.
*1 Based on a comparison with the DLA-X9000 manufactured by JVC.
*2 When projection aspect ratio is 16:9.
Through use of its laser light source and a new cinema filter, the projector achieves 100% coverage of the DCI-P3 display range used in film production. The unit furthermore achieves a minimum 80% coverage of the BT.2020 colour range, used for UHD Blu-ray Discs and 4K and 8K broadcasting. These technologies allow for more accurate reproduction of the natural gradations in images of the sky and the sea, which has presented difficulties in the past. Also improved are differences in the colour contrast between subjects such as flowers of a deep crimson or rose colour, or the different shades of green on tree leaves.
• Original 0.69" native 4K D-ILA device (4096 x 2160)
• BLU-Escent laser diode light source
• 18-element, 16-group all-glass 100 mm diameter lens system with full aluminium lens barrel
• Brightness of 3,000 lm
• Dynamic contrast: Infinity:1
• 4K signal input (4K60P 4:4:4, 4K60P 4:2:2/36-bit, 4K24P 4:4:4/36-bit)
• Resolution: 4096 x 2160
• Connectors: HDMI x 2 (3D, Deep Colour/HDCP 2.2/18 Gbps), RS-232C (D-sub 9pin) x 1, LAN (RJ-45) x 1, Trigger x 1 (Mini jack, DC12 V/100 mA), 3D Sync x 1 (3-pin mini-DIN), Service (USB Type-A)
• Newly developed 0.69" native 4K D-ILA device – world's smallest 4K device for use as home theatre projectors (as of Oct. 2016)
• High-definition display at 4K resolution (4096 x 2160)
• Vertical orientation and planarisation technologies of the device reduce light scattering and diffraction to enhance contrast.
• BLU-Escent laser light source uses blue laser diodes to offer high brightness level and long life
• New optical engine optimised for 4K with F2.6 that uses light much more efficiently
• Exceptional brightness of 3,000 lm achieved with the BLU-Escent laser light source and optimised optical engine
• Contrast ratio of infinity:1 achieved with the massive increase in peak brightness
• New lens system incorporating 18-element, 16-group all-glass 100 mm diameter lens and five ED lenses reduces chromatic aberration and colour fringing
• Support for HDR content with extended brightness range with the projector's high contrast ratio, 80% BT.2020 coverage, dynamic light source control and a peak brightness of 3,000 lm
• Support for Hybrid Log-Gamma, which is expected to be used in future broadcasting
• Multiple Pixel Control technology offers more realistic presentation of images with greater sense of clarity and softness of focus to backgrounds
• Upscaling of Full HD video to 4K
• Smooth and detailed reproduction of fast-moving images such as sports and action movies achieved with two video processing technologies – the blur-reducing Clear Motion
• Drive, which is compatible with signals up to 4K60p (4:4:4), and Motion Enhance, which minimises motion blurring by optimising the D-ILA driver
• THX 4K Display Certification to ensure the precise reproduction of picture quality in both 2K and 4K resolution, just as the original filmmaker envisioned.
• Complies with the latest HDMI/HDCP 2.2 standard to enable full spec 4K signal input up to 4K60P 4:4:4
• 4K signal input (4K60P 4:4:4, 4K60P 4:2:2/36-bit, 4K24P 4:4:4/36-bit at 18 Gbps bandwidth)
• ISF C3 (Certified Calibration Controls) mode* to reproduce excellent picture quality optimised for specific environments.
• Wireless transmission options for 3D viewing: RF (radio frequency) system transmission with PK-AG3 3D Glasses for 100H continuous operation and PK-EM2 3D Synchro Emitter
• Auto-Calibration Function using an optical sensor** is capable of optimising essential elements in the image, including colour balance, gamma characteristics, colour space and colour tracking
*Professional calibration to desired screen is performed by trained dealers **Exclusive JVC software installed in PC and optical sensor are required. Please visit the JVC website for details.
• Zoom: 2X zoom & focus, motorised
• Projection size: 60" to 280" (in 16:9 aspect ratio)
• Lamp life: Approx. 20,000 hours
• Brightness: 3,000 lm
• Contrast Ratio: Infinity:1
• Video format: 480p, 576p, 720p 60/50, 1080i 60/50, 1080p 60/50/24, 3840 x 2160p 60/50/30/25/24, 4096 x 2160p 60/50/30/25/24
PC input signal: HDMI VGA/ SVGA/ XGA/ WXGA/ WXGA+/ SXGA/ WSXGA+
Video input terminals (back panel): HDMI 2 (3D/Deep Colour/HDCP 2.2/18 Gbps)
Output terminals (back panel): 3D sync 1 (Mini DIN 3-pin)
• RS232C 1 (D-sub 9-pin)
• Trigger 1 (mini jack, DC12V/100mA)
• LAN (RJ45) 1
Device: 0.69-inch 4K D-ILA (4096 x 2160) x3
Resolution: 4096 x 2160
Lens shift function: +/-100% vertical & +/-43% horizontal, motorised
Light source lamp: Laser diode
Service terminal: SERVICE USB Type-A (firmware update required)
• Frame packing 720p 60/50, 1080p 24
• Side-by-side 720p 60/50, 1080p 60/50/24, 1080i 60/50
• Top & bottom 720p 60/50, 1080p/24
Noise level 25 dB (when in LD low-power mode)
• Projector in use 750 W
• Standby 0.4 W
• Networked standby 1.4 W (LAN), 1.1 W (RS232C),1.4 W (LAN and RS232C)
Switchover time 20 min. (To standby or networked standby; default)
Dimensions: W x H x D, 500 x 235 x 720 mm
Weight, 37.5 Kg