USB DAC / Headphone Amplifier with MQA.This product is MQA-ready. Allowing you to experience the full, intricate detail of a live performance for the first time in the history of recorded music. Find out more
Hear More and Feel More
Meridian’s new Explorer² is the successor to the popular and widely acclaimed Explorer pocket USB DAC. Featuring a dramatically increased complement of DSP, Explorer² is able to incorporate the full suite of Meridian’s audio enhancement technologies to provide a more realistic, natural sound than ever before.
The Meridian Experience in your hand
Explorer² replaces a computer’s audio outputs with a USB-powered DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) featuring over 30 years of Meridian’s digital expertise in high-quality audio circuitry. Explorer² includes digital clocking derived from Meridian’s award-winning Reference Series components, for precise timing of digital signals.
Meridian has paid as much attention to the analog circuitry as the digital. Explorer² features a pure analog volume control with a powerful headphone amplifier and a line output. This provides sophisticated volume control with an extended range of 100dB – ideal for sensitive headphones. Whatever you listen to, Explorer² makes it sound its best.
- True Meridian quality from a pocket Digital to Analogue Converter
- Includes USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier
- Meridian MQA Decoding and Rendering with LEDs to indicate authenticated master-quality replay
- Full range of Meridian Resolution Enhancement technologies for ultimate performance: Apodising filter, 4x upsampling to 176.4/192kHz, Noise Shaping
- Asynchronous USB Audio Class Compliant 2.0 HS 480Mb/s for best-in-class performance
- Bus-powered; plugs into any computer with a USB port
- Exceptionally high resolution (24-bit/192kHz)
- 6-layer circuit board with audiophile-grade components throughout
- Auto-sensing headphone and 192kHz-derived fixed analogue outputs
- Advanced headphone volume control: 0 to –100dB, ideal for sensitive headphones.
- Ultimate playback performance limited only by the source material – makes any file sound its best
- Compact, elegant and rugged metal enclosure
- Cable connection to avoid motherboard stress
- Hand made in the UK
- INPUTS: USB mini type B.
- OUTPUTS: 3.5mm analogue line out, fixed 2v RMS.
- 3.5mm headphone jack with variable-level output, impedance 0.47Ω.
- CONSTRUCTION: Extruded Aluminium shell with moulded plastic endcaps and rubber foot.
- POWER USB:, nominal 5V at <500mA.
- INDICATORS: Three white LEDs (1x, 2x, 4x) show connected state and audio stream rate. 1x LED glows white for PCM, green to indicate MQA playback and blue to indicate MQA Studio playback. MQA indications will not show if the bitstream is altered in any way.
- IMPLEMENTATION USB: audio class compliant 2.0 HS 480Mb/s bandwidth. Asynchronous: device is the clock source for high quality.
- Firmware upgrade via USB.
- Windows drivers provided, no drivers required for Macintosh OS X or Linux.
- Analogue volume control for headphone output, controlled from PC, control law modified to match connected OS.
- OS REQUIREMENTS:
- Macintosh OS X 10.6.4 (Snow Leopard) or later
- Windows XP SP3, Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8
- Linux kernel 2.6.37 or later and ALSA version 1.0.23 or greater