CELEBRATING 20 YEARS OF HOME THEATRE
G65 Surround Controller continues a 20-year legacy of category innovation and leadership.
PERFECT FOR ANY HIGH PERFORMANCE THEATRE
20 years ago, in 1994, Meridian released the world’s first Digital Surround Controller, the 565. That same year Meridian entered the emerging home theatre market with another first, the Meridian Digital Theatre. This concept was based on the company’s new range of digital loudspeakers and the 565. The Digital Theatre and the 565 won more than ten awards in the first twelve months of production.
G65 continues this legacy with high performance, connectivity, and ease of use. When partnered with the HD621, the G65 features a comprehensive input capability to accommodate the widest range of audio and video sources. Now equipped with SpeakerLink and balanced analogue outputs, G65 is equally at home in Meridian Digital Theatres and with analogue loudspeaker-based systems.
G65, named in honour of 565, is now the definitive surround controller second only to the flagship 861, but deriving many of its capabilities and performance from its big brother. A worthy successor to the world’s first Digital Surround Controller, the 565.
Featuring a double skinned, bead-blasted metal chassis with glass accents, G65 provides high-performance with great looks. This ensures that noise is kept away from critical audio components for lifelike details in both film and music playback.
Soft keys only show available options ensuring simple operation, while a rotary knob provides precise volume control. All of this is always accessible from the comfort of your couch with the supplied MSR+ system remote.
G65 is a highly flexible Surround Controller, featuring many of Meridian’s key technologies plus a comprehensive set of digital and analogue input and outputs. It connects directly to Meridian products like the HD621 HDMI Processor to bring in sound from high-definition video media such as Blu-ray Disc®, and includes a broadcast-quality component video switcher.
Meridian black or silver finish in metal & glass
Forms the heart of a powerful, flexible, and highly specified Meridian home theatre system
Offers balanced analogue outputs for up to eight channels on XLR connectors
Proprietary Room Correction system, which smoothens out unevenness in room acoustics for a clearer sound, provides optimised performance for any loudspeaker system
Eight-channel Speakerlink output for ease of installation and enhanced performance.
Balanced analogue outputs allow full integration with traditional power amplifiers and passive loudspeakers. MMHR 6 channel connection for HD621 provides simple and secure connection.
SpeakerLink inputs for connecting Meridian sources include power, for example, to drive an attached Media Source 200.
Redesigned master oscillator and clocking system reduces jitter, improving sound localisation and performance.
Advanced DSP, including Meridian’s unique ‘apodising’ upsampling filter, delivers exceptional sound quality from all sources.
Meridian Room Correction system counteracts room resonances, delivering improved clarity, detail and imaging.
Linear Power supply based on Reference 861V8
Also inspired by the latest edition of the 861, G65 features a low-noise linear power supply with a true toroidal power transformer, minimising noise and avoiding digital interference.
G65 includes the full range of DSP presets from Meridian, including Cinema and Discrete, as well as the widely-praised Trifield system, which uses the entire surround playback system to bring an immersive listening experience to 2-channel content. Trifield fully decodes the stereo stage for left, centre and right front-stage loudspeakers, instead of solely left and right, giving it a more stable image.
Meanwhile, Meridian’s Trifield implementation extracts surround information from the recording, where present, using it to provide ambience at the rear for example, for an enhanced and immersive listening experience.
The Cinema preset in G65, when combined with HD621, can up-sample discrete movie formats to higher resolutions that are natively available on the disc or incoming digital stream.
Central to the G65 is a powerful DSP engine made up of five Freescale processor devices delivering 750 MIPS (million instructions per second). All processing is carried out at high sample rates and with up to 48-bit precision, far beyond human hearing. This DSP engine is also responsible for G65’s comprehensive bass management system which can support up to three separate subwoofers, and for managing the up to 60 filters created by Meridian’s Room Correction software.
G65 includes multiple analogue and digital audio inputs including: Meridian MMHR SmartLink for multichannel connection to a Meridian HD621; SpeakerLink inputs for Meridian Streaming endpoints, Toslink optical digital inputs for connection to set-top boxes, etc; and configurable multichannel analogue inputs for connection to multi-channel music sources. All analogue inputs are processed at 24-bit, 96 kHz resolution.
G65 offers menu options to control advanced SpeakerLink functionality, including Enhanced Bass Alignment, Centre Elevation, Bass, Tilt, Axis and the new Source Legends custom labelling capability in Meridian DSP Loudspeakers.
MERIDIAN ROOM CORRECTION (MRC)
Room shape, size, furnishing and loudspeaker positions all influence the sound of any system. The result is often uneven sound - low frequencies are too loud in some places and too quiet in others. Meridian's Room Correction system uses powerful DSP to smooth out uneven room resonances for clearer sound and better imaging.
Traditional audio systems often require large, expensive cables to maintain their performance. Meridian's SpeakerLink uses an “Ethernet style” cable that delivers pristine digital sound and control down a single cable between Meridian components. The result is simple, unobtrusive, and cost-effective cables that are easy to install.
TRIPLE FIFO BUFFERING
Each sample of a digital recording must remain evenly spaced in time. Unfortunately, timing can vary, especially when reading discs. This is “jitter”, degrading music's sense of space and diminishing realism. Meridian's multiple “First In, First Out” buffering system minimises jitter, ensuring perfect timing and improved clarity. You enjoy a clearer feeling of the instruments and their interrelationship.
Music, movies and other sources each need their own settings to play correctly. Usually you have to select the right settings yourself. A Meridian system, however, analyses the incoming content and automatically selects the correct group of settings – we call them presets – for the source. You just sit back and enjoy the experience.
MERIDIAN APODISING FILTER
Filters are critical in digital audio. Commonly they introduce distortion and harshness because of "pre-ringing". Early digital recordings suffer from harshness too, due to primitive filters. After painstaking research, Meridian developed a special filter that avoids pre-ringing, so it can be steeper, cleaning up the effects of early filters. The result: a better, cleaner sound from recordings old and new.
- 1x MMHR (Meridian Multichannel High Resolution) 6-channel input designed to receive audio from the Meridian HD621 HDMI processor
- 2x SpeakerLink (RJ45) inputs for connection to Meridian products
- 6x S/PDIF digital (coax), D1–D3 can be configured as a six-channel digital input with Meridian MHR Smart Link®
- 2x Toslink S/PDIF optical inputs
- 8x analogue stereo inputs, (phono). A1–A3 can be configured as x1 six-channel analogue input. 0.5–2.5Vrms adjustable, input impedance 20kΩ
- 8x SpeakerLink digital (RJ45): L, R, C, Sub, Side L, Side R, Rear L, Rear R
- 8x analogue balanced (XLR): Main L, Main R, Side L, Side R, Rear L, Rear R, Centre, Sub
- 2x Legacy Meridian Comms (DIN), 1x 12V Trigger, 1x IR in for G12 receiver, USB & RS232 remote control/configuration
- 5x Freescale processors running at 750 MIPS (million instructions per second). 48-bit arithmetic throughout
- 24-bit Sigma-Delta converter chips operating at up to 96 kHz on analogue inputs and outputs
- Front-panel soft keys include control of Source, Mute, etc. Power and Display buttons, rotary DSP volume control. Full remote control via MSR+, serial. Serial link or maintenance USB port used for firmware updates
- Config via serial or front panel wizard
- Multi-character dot-matrix Vacuum Fluorescent Display
- Front-panel keys back-illuminated; Standby button lit when off
- Include Dolby Digital, DTS, MPEG Surround and AAC
- Include Direct, Stereo, Music, Trifield, Ambisonics (2-ch UHJ & ≤3-ch B-Format; 4 – 7 speaker decode), Super Stereo, MusicLogic, PLIIx Music, PLIIx Movie, PLIIx THX, TV Logic, Mono, Discrete, Cinema, THX, THX Music, THX Surround EX, THX Ultra2 Cinema and Meridian Room Correction
- Linear power supply with true toroidal transformer, 50–60Hz, 40W, 120V & 230V
- Meridian black or silver finish in metal and glass
- Width: 440mm; Depth: 350mm plus connectors; Height: 90mm
- 10 kg
- Kit available from Meridian authorized retailers