Floor-Standing Speakers (Pair)
For over forty years our work as engineers and audio enthusiasts has been dedicated to this unveiling. With our most advanced driver, crossover and acoustic systems set within luxurious cabinets, we’ve tuned the virtues that have won monitor audio worldwide acclaim to a new intensity, allowing rarefied audio transparency to be revealed and enjoyed. Platinum II is our magnum opus, as inspirational and satisfying to us as we hope it will be to you.
The Platinum II cabinets are a statement of immaculate craftsmanship. Each is hand-built with the expert precision of the finest furniture makers, employing multiple laminations of veneer that are formed into a curved rigid shell. For the finish, natural wood veneers in Santos Rosewood or Natural Ebony are pair-matched, applied and hand-coated with 11 layers of clear gloss piano lacquer, then polished to reveal the glowing lustre in the grain. Platinum II models are also available in a penetrating piano black gloss lacquer, which will offer a luxurious contrast with room décor.
The front baffles are hand-upholstered with the very highest quality Inglestone leather supplied by Andrew Muirhead and used to distinguish many luxury British brands. Such is the level of care lavished on the Platinum II enclosures that each requires as many as 144 hours to complete.
Platinum II offers you genuine audiophile performance with stunning design and materials specification. In the pursuit of ever lower distortion, no detail has been overlooked. Through meticulous FEA modelling we’ve optimised the operation of electrical, mechanical, magnetic and acoustic systems, introducing new discoveries to meet ambitious performance goals. The Platinum II range deploys an enhanced generation of RDT® bass and mid drivers, and for the first time in a Monitor Audio product, the MPD (Micro Pleated Diaphragm) high frequency transducer. Including improved crossover and speaker terminal designs together with proprietary ARC®, TLE, HiVe®II technologies, Platinum II builds on the award-winning advances of over forty years to create a high-end speaker range that is utterly faithful to the source.
PL500 II AWARDED PRESTIGIOUS ABSOLUTE SOUND GOLDEN EAR AWARD!
The Absolute Sound have awarded our PL500 II with a 2016 Golden Ear Award.
'Tall, dark, and handsome, these big boys impressed me from the first time I heard them...' '...not only are the PL500 II's high-energy, high-resolution transducers that boast beautiful sound, they also offer superb quality and value far exceeding their price' Read the full review
- 4 x 8" RDT®II long throw bass drivers
- 2 x 4" RDT II mid-range drivers
- MPD (Micro Pleated Diaphragm) high frequency transducer designed specifically for Platinum II
- 4 x HiVe®II ports
- New patented 'DCF' (Dynamic Coupling Filter) mechanism for more natural sound
- Bespoke speaker terminals and footings
- Underhung, edge-wound voice coils: greater driver efficiency and lifelike dynamics, less distortion
- Bolt through drivers: clearer sound and cleaner aesthetics
- Anti-Resonance Composite (ARC) mid-range housings and baffle components: reduced cabinet vibration, purer sound quality
- TLE (Tapered Line Enclosure) sealed internal enclosure for mid-range drivers: greater sound accuracy and reduced cabinet vibration
- Hand-upholstered front baffle: the very highest quality Inglestone leather supplied by Andrew Muirhead
- Individual driver grilles
- Finish options: Santos Rosewood or Ebony natural wood veneers with clear gloss piano lacquer, or Piano black gloss lacquer
- System: 3 Way - 7 Driver
- Frequency Response (-6dB - IEC 268-13): 22Hz - 100kHz
- Sensitivity (1W@1M): 91dB
- Maximum S.P.L.: 120dBA (pair)
- Nominal Impedance: 4Ω (4.2Ω min. @ 120Hz)
- Power Handling (RMS): 400W
- Recommended Amplifier Requirements (RMS): 150 - 400W
- Cabinet Design: Four HiVe®II ports, Sealed mid-range TLE enclosure
- Drive Unit Compliment: 4 x 8" RDT®II long-throw bass drivers, 2 x 4" RDT II mid-range driver, 1 x MPD high frequency transducer
- Crossover Frequency: MF/HF: 3.6kHz, LF/MF: 460Hz
- External Dimensions (Inc. plinth) (H x W x D): 1803 x 504 x 626mm
- External Dimensions (Inc. feet & spikes) (H x W x D): 1848 x 504 x 626mm
- Weight (each): 99.1kg