Bookshelf Speakers (Pair)
For over forty years our work as engineers and audio enthusiasts has been dedicated to this unveiling. With our most advanced driver, crossover and acoustic systems set within luxurious cabinets, we’ve tuned the virtues that have won monitor audio worldwide acclaim to a new intensity, allowing rarefied audio transparency to be revealed and enjoyed. Platinum II is our magnum opus, as inspirational and satisfying to us as we hope it will be to you.
The Platinum II cabinets are a statement of immaculate craftsmanship. Each is hand-built with the expert precision of the finest furniture makers, employing multiple laminations of veneer that are formed into a curved rigid shell. For the finish, natural wood veneers in Santos Rosewood or Natural Ebony are pair-matched, applied and hand-coated with 11 layers of clear gloss piano lacquer, then polished to reveal the glowing lustre in the grain. Platinum II models are also available in a penetrating piano black gloss lacquer, which will offer a luxurious contrast with room décor.
The front baffles are hand-upholstered with the very highest quality Inglestone leather supplied by Andrew Muirhead and used to distinguish many luxury British brands. Such is the level of care lavished on the Platinum II enclosures that each requires as many as 144 hours to complete.
Platinum II offers you genuine audiophile performance with stunning design and materials specification. In the pursuit of ever lower distortion, no detail has been overlooked. Through meticulous FEA modelling we’ve optimised the operation of electrical, mechanical, magnetic and acoustic systems, introducing new discoveries to meet ambitious performance goals. The Platinum II range deploys an enhanced generation of RDT® bass and mid drivers, and for the first time in a Monitor Audio product, the MPD (Micro Pleated Diaphragm) high frequency transducer. Including improved crossover and speaker terminal designs together with proprietary ARC®, TLE, HiVe®II technologies, Platinum II builds on the award-winning advances of over forty years to create a high-end speaker range that is utterly faithful to the source.
PL100 II REVIEW FROM SON & IMAGE MAGAZINE
"This is a 2-way with both power and control, and without exaggeration, sounds life-like."
In the latest issue of Son & Image magazine, you'll find a great review review written by Michel Leroux, on the the PL100 II bookshelf speakers from Monitor Audio's new Platinum Series II.
Michel was thoroughly impressed, saying that the PL100 II "offers good tonal balance with a solid reproduction of bass, mids and highs, offering excellent control, dynamic range and transition between low and loud levels." "...offers great balance between the bass, mid-range and treble. There's a natural and smooth feel through the mid-range, with a silky rendering of details from the new high frequency transducer. The MPD design never pushes the treble too far." "The subtle strength of these 2-way speakers, together with the harmonious separation of instruments in the soundstage, creates an intense listening pleasure, with a sound that goes toward being soft and sweet rather than analytical, in full respect of the instruments natural timber." "Besides looking great in any interior, the new PL 100 II will please those looking for compact and aesthetic loudspeakers with musical generosity."
Stand sold separately
- 6 1/2" RDT®II bass / mid driver
- MPD (Micro Pleated Diaphragm) high frequency transducer designed specifically for Platinum II
- Single rear HiVe®II port
- New patented 'DCF' (Dynamic Coupling Filter) mechanism for more natural sound
- Bespoke speaker terminals and footings
- Underhung, edge-wound voice coils: greater driver efficiency and lifelike dynamics, less distortion
- Bolt through drivers: clearer sound and cleaner aesthetics
- Anti-Resonance Composite (ARC) mid-range housings and baffle components: reduced cabinet vibration, purer sound quality
- Hand-upholstered front baffle: the very highest quality Inglestone leather supplied by Andrew Muirhead
- Individual driver grilles
- Finish options: Santos Rosewood or Ebony natural wood veneers with clear gloss piano lacquer, or Piano black gloss lacquer
- Optional dedicated PL100 Floor Stands are available
- System Format: 2 Way - 2 Driver
- Frequency Response (-6dB - IEC 268-13): 40Hz - 100kHz
- Sensitivity (1W@1M): 88dB
- Maximum S.P.L.: 111.8dBA (pair)
- Nominal Impedance: 6Ω (4.5Ω min. @ 160Hz)
- Power Handling (RMS): 120W
- Recommended Amplifier Requirements (RMS): 60 - 120W
- Cabinet Design: Single rear HiVe®II port
- Drive Unit Compliment: 1 x 61/2" RDT®II bass / mid driver, 1 x MPD high frequency transducer
- Crossover Frequency: 3.0kHz
- External Dimensions (H x W x D): 370 x 225 x 285mm
- Weight (each): 14.94kg